Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is an extremely common, yes serious oral infection to your gum tissue. Gum disease is caused by a variety of factors, including plaque buildup within our mouths. If left untreated, gum disease first begins to appear as gingivitis. As it progresses, it can steadily damage your gums and cause irreparable tooth loss. Don’t let gum disease ruin your smile, look for the following signs it may be occurring:
– Do you have sensitive gums that appear swollen, tender to the touch, or red and bleeding?
– Do your gums easily bleed when eating food or brushing and flossing?
– Do you suffer from recurring bouts of halitosis (bad breath) no matter how often you brush and floss?
– Does it look like your gums are pulling back away from your teeth, exposing more of their roots?
– Do your teeth feel loose or wobbly?
– Do you smoke or chew tobacco frequently?
– Have you been prescribed any medications that list gum disease as a potential side effect?
If you answered yes to any of the following questions, gum disease could be occurring, or you could be at a much greater risk for it to occur. For a diagnosis and treatment, please contact The Office of Dr. Henry Espinosa to book an appointment with Dr. Henry Espinosa and our team at our dentist office in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Call us at 505-888-1116. Let us help you achieve a healthy smile!